Tuesday, September 2, 2014


You'd think with all the sewing I've been doing over the last several months that I'd have no time for anything else.  I haven't really had too much extra time, but in that space I've managed to do some canning of green beans and digging out of potatoes.

Beans for days. Getting to the point where it's not "fun" anymore, but almost done.

The beans I picked from both my garden and a new friend's.  I'd forgotten how tedious and boring snapping beans could be.  I managed to can 14 quarts of green beans, thanks to my new pressure canner I received last Christmas from the hubby, and dig out around 20 pounds of potatoes.

Purple Viking, 1st harvest / one plant made about 10# of taters.
(purple viking potatoes are so tasty!)

It was a really weird gardening season this year.  We had rain consistently, almost every 3 days on average, and unseasonably cool weather.  The potato harvest was truly sub par as were several local farmers in the area.  Even the tomatoes have been having a difficult time ripening.

Oh well.  I have the majority of the garden cleaned up for the year and am going to attempt a Russian Kale this winter. We'll see how that goes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...