Monday, August 22, 2011

The Crash Club

I've got stuff to do.  LOTS of stuff to do because Hurricane Irene or not we're supposed to head out to Disney here on Saturday.  The only thing is that yesterday we went mountain biking.  It was really fun and my second time out on the trails.  I was doing excellent till I rounded a bend and the path went between two trees and then did a 90 degree right turn, all downhill.  I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this.  I made it between the two trees, but was going a little too fast into the immediate turn and hit my brakes a little too hard and fell off to the side of the trail.
Fortunately for me Chris was with me (remember kids never ride a trail alone for this very reason!) as was one of his co-workers who was right behind me.  After I brushed my bum off we figured out that I had a really good busted up knee and my left wrist and elbow were pretty stiff and starting to swell.

THEN as if it couldn't get any more "worse", after biking nearly 7 miles thru the woods and crashing, I heard thunder.  And literally out of nowhere a BIG thunderstorm started to roll in.   It happened no more than maybe 5 minutes after my crash.  So in alot of pain, we lucked out by discovering we were right by a trail exit to a paved road. Chris took off for the car as it started to rain and I waited with Chuck, I swear adrenaline makes me want to barf once it subsides.  Chris ended up going the wrong way on the road and had to double back past us.  By then it was a monsoon rain.  I looked at Chuck and told him it couldn't possibly get any worse and laughing hobbled myself back onto my bike and we charged thru the torrential downpour and hail of lightning.

We managed to load the bikes back up, say our good-byes and headed off to the closest Urgent Care which was about10 miles away.  We had to stop off at my parents, who lived nearby, to ask them where it was because I couldn't remember.  After getting x-rayed it was determined that I sprained my wrist, bruising the base of my left thumb joint pretty good and hyer-extended my left elbow, but no broken bones.  Hooray for strong bones, a good husband and finding an Urgent Care open on a Sunday.

I'm just stiff for now and my knee is finally turning into a giant scab, but hell I guess I can now say I'm officially in the Crash Club for mountain biking.  It could've been worse.  I mean after all I could've broken something.  Then I would've had to walk around Disney in sweltering heat with a cast.

I hope to be back on my bike in two weeks once I can bear weight on my arm for an extended period and back on some trails in about 3. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...