Friday, February 21, 2014

Those Pesky Triangles

RicRac Pattern

As I am wont to do with quilt patterns these days, I ended up modifying this Ric Rac pattern by Ms. Rosie's Quilt Co. to become a table runner. I'd like to say I did it because that's what I wanted to do in the first place, but that would be lying.
No, the sad and silly truth is it was simply too many triangles.  Triangles are my personal quilting nemesis.

I'm sure you have one.  Everyone in the sewing world does.
There is something that either intimidates the crap out of you or some technique that you just can't get right.

Triangles are like that for me (so are french knots, but that's another story).
Even the word sounds devilish.  Triangles *shudder*
 Still, I torture myself by doing patterns that involve them.  Sure there are tools and paper piecing methods to help you get perfectly pointy points, but I guess I'm stubborn.  I did this pattern the "hard way" and cut them first.  
I've since learned my lesson with that.  Don't cut triangles if you don't have to.
There are TONS of methods of how to do them, what's fastest, easiest, smoothest, less finicky.....just google: how to sew quilting triangles
 
Alot of triangles

Ugh triangles for days..........

Truth of the matter is that only one method is going to click with you, maybe two if you're savvy, but the one that you pick up the fastest will become your preference and the only way to find out what you prefer is to get out there and make mistakes.
Lots of tricksy triangle mistakes.
I'm not going to tell you which one I prefer but it's one that works for me in most situations :)

In the meantime, enjoy some pretty quilting with MORE triangles and diamonds.

Quilting Diamonds

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...