Monday, March 3, 2014

The Feather Quilt (Part 1)

My cousin Allison is getting married in August this year and I politely inquired if she would like a quilt as a gift?  She was very enthusiastic about the idea and I promised her it would be a nod to her more "modern" style.

021

(so. much. fabric.)

The pattern I'm using is called Feathers by Anna Maria Horner.

(not mine^^)

It can be found in Quilty's Winter 2012 issue.  I've actually worked out of this Quilty issue before for Corbin's Quilt and have had my eye on the Feathers quilt for well over a year now.

I'm not sure how I thought this pattern would be easier than most, maybe because it's mostly strip piecing and then cutting, but it requires a copious amount of fabric.  Copious, as in, 14 assorted prints in 1/4 yd pieces, 5 assorted fat quarters and, I believe, 5 1/2yds of white for the background.

Fabric for days......

I couldn't even fit all the fabrics in the picture and truthfully there are 3 of the fabrics that don't seem to work as well as I'd hoped.  When you're trying to find the much fabric in a quilt shop it can just be overwhelming.  So I've had to rummage thru my stash to come up with substitutes, but, to be frank, 14 assorted prints just isn't enough variety and this quilt THRIVES on variety.  I think it would look hot using vintage fabrics or even doing  it all in ombre hues for the feathers.
 I really want to make this quilt again using the ombre idea, but that will have to wait.

Wish me luck as I start on this humungous project.
The projected size is 72" x 90" (pretty much a Queen sized quilt).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...